Tips For Preventing Insurance Claims
Getting quality insurance is a good first step towards protecting your home. But ultimately, the best protection is prevention. There are steps you can take to help you avoid ever having to make a home insurance claim – the following home insurance tips can get you started.
1. Safeguard your home
- Take action to make your home theft-resistant. “Case” your home as if you were a burglar.
- Burglars look for easy targets – make sure your home isn’t one of them.
- Install exterior lights that are out of reach and triggered by motion.
- Trim trees and shrubs near doors and windows.
- Don’t hide house keys outside – burglars know where to look.
- Consider investing in a security system. Not only does this make your home safer, it can lower your home insurance premiums.
When you’re on vacation:
- Have mail and newspapers picked up.
- Leave blinds in normal positions.
- Arrange to have your lawn mowed or your driveway shoveled.
- Tell police and neighbors that you will be away and ask them to watch your home.
2. Be a responsible dog owner
The numbers speak for themselves: According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 40% of Americans homes have a dog. There are 4 million dog bites per year, and dog bites create 33% of all homeowners liability claims – resulting in more than $1 billion in claims per year. Consider these tips to avoid having a claim brought against you: