5 Car Accidents Caused By The Unlikeliest Situations
A tractor-trailer crashed on Interstate 20 in Alabama because “the driver lost control while he was pulling one of his teeth,” Claims Journal reported this week.
The Alabama Highway Patrol said the truck driver admitted that he had “taken his hands off the wheel to pull a loose tooth when he wrecked near Tuscaloosa.” According to the crash report, he “had the tooth in his shirt pocket as proof.”
The tractor-trailer veered off the Interstate and into a ditch before finally smashing into a tree. No other autos were involved in the incident but it did manage to close the road “for about 11 hours until a single lane reopened Monday morning.”
The 57-year-old driver was not named in the report, nor was he injured beyond a bit of immediate embarrassment. The accident calls in to question one of our favorite reddit threads of all time — dumbest car accidents. Here are some other causes that you may find as humorous as we do.
- “A bear ran into me. I was driving by, and he just rammed the side of my car. I’ve also hit about 5 deer. 2 of the cars were totaled.”
- “15 years old, driving with my learner’s permit and my mom in the front seat next to me, I hit a police car in the parking lot of the police station.”
- “I once tried to make a U-turn from the right-hand lane … in a five lane busy street. Yeah, I hit another car. My 89 Camry was fine (2 inch dent in the rear passenger door) but the 99 Camry I hit had a crumpled front fender and 2k worth of damage. … Learned a lesson there, I did.”
- “My husband and I were sitting at a stop light and when the light turned green, the SUV in front of us put her car in reverse instead of driving forward. She just backed right into our car, while we were waiting to go. She was like 17 and just started sobbing when she got out of the car. There was no damage, but we had to sit there and try to calm her down until her mom got there.”
- “We were at a McDonalds drive-thru and we had ordered 10 double cheeseburgers. We pulled out to the window and they gave us our food, she started p to pull forward when I told her we were missing 1 burger. I guess she wanted to back up but didn’t put the car in reverse, so she accelerated right into one of those yellow poles … and I counted wrong, we did have all our burgers.”
And one bonus from a car insurance claims assessor: “Woman driving down motorway, its a sunny day, she’s got the windows down, probably loving life. She goes to overtake a lorry, casual as you like. The lorry driver is also minding his own business, driving his lorry, smoking a cigarette. He takes a last puff and flicks the butt out of the window, just as woman driver is alongside. The butt of the cigarette proceeds to fly through the air, from the fingers of the lorry driver, through the window of the woman’s car and onto her back seat, where she has a duvet. Duvet catches fire, woman pulls over, car completely burnt out.”
When we think about car accidents, we usually confine our expectations to fender-benders and such, but as you can see, they can be caused from the unlikeliest of circumstances. Remind your customers of the importance of defensive driving and maybe they can avoid these types of headaches.